- 200 g dark cooking chocolate
- 3 free range eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ cup whole pistachios, shelled
- 2 tsp salt flakes, separated
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
Print Your Shopping List
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, slowly drizzle in sugar, and whisk again until white and glossy.
- Break up chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a pot filled with 2 cm of water. Let the water simmer and the chocolate melt for 5 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat, and stir the chocolate with a metal spoon.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes, then add in egg yolk and stir.
- Using a metal spoon, fold a spoonful of egg white into the chocolate to loosen up the mix. Then slowly fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Be sure to take your time at this stage, as you don’t want to lose the air which keeps the mousse light.
- Divide into 4 serves, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For the salted caramel, start by lining a baking sheet with foil. Warm the pistachios in an oven or microwave for about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, water and 1 tsp of salt to a heavy-based saucepan and put over medium heat, do not stir, let the sugar dissolve for about 3 minutes. Once dissolved, increase the heat and cook without stirring, swirling the saucepan gently by hand. Be patient and don’t walk away from your pan; when the syrup has turned yellow add your warmed pistachios.
- Use a heatproof spatula and stir to coat the pistachios. Cook until your caramel is the colour of amber and has the aroma of toffee, then pour immediately onto a lined tray. Tap tray on bench, allowing the caramel to spread out to a thin layer before it hardens, then sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of salt flakes.
- Let the salted caramel cool, break into shards and serve on top of mousse.